Postcard of the Capitol and "Petersburg Express", a Civil War mortar.
This 13 inch mortar was used by the First Connecticut Heavy Artillery (Civil War) during the campaign at Petersburg, Virginia (1864-1865).
The First Connecticut Heavy Artillery, originally the Fourth Connecticut Infantry, was the first volunteer organization that was mustered for three years into the service of the United States (May 22, 1861-September 25, 1865).
Its total enrollment, officers and men, was 3,802.
The mortar was mounted on a railway car and moved from one firing position to another.
The memorial was dedicated September 25, 1902.
In 1927, there were 262 members in the House of Representatives; 237 were Republicans and 25 were Democrats.
The session convened on January 5 and adjourned May 6.
From 1887 through 1970, the General Assembly met in biennial sessions. Beginning in 1971, the General Assembly has met in annual sessions.
Today there are 151 members of the House of Representatives.
1927 Photo of Connecticut Order of Women Legislators (OWLS)
Connecticut Order of Women Legislators (OWLS)
Julia McClune Emery of Stamford, Connecticut founded the Connecticut Order of Women Legislators (OWLS) in 1927.
She was at the time serving in the House of Representatives (1925-1930) and believed women needed to unite in order to have their voices heard in the General Assembly.
The order was the first formal organization of female lawmakers in the nation.
Ms. Emery also founded the National Order of Women Legislators in 1938.
Since then five Connecticut women have served as the President of the National Order.
The Connecticut Order amended its bylaws in 1988 to admit men.
Comments Off on Vintage Photo Gallery
CAPITOL INFORMATION AND TOURS
210 Capitol Avenue
Hartford, CT 06106
(860) 240‑0222 – VOICE
(860) 240‑8627 – FAX firstname.lastname@example.org