Goal and Mission
Our goal is to serve the public interest regarding fiscal and compliance matters related to the State of Connecticut. To accomplish this goal, the Auditors of Public Accounts provides independent, unbiased, and objective opinions and recommendations on the operations of state government and the state’s effectiveness in safeguarding resources.
We assist state agencies in achieving effective fiscal management. Furthermore, the Auditors of Public Accounts reports on the integrity of the state’s financial statements and reports whether federal funds provided to the state are used in compliance with applicable laws, rules and regulations. To further define this goal, the Auditors of Public Accounts developed the following mission statement.
The mission of the APA encompasses the following elements:
- Determine whether state agencies and quasi-public agencies comply with applicable state and federal legal requirements
- Determine whether state resources are properly and prudently safeguarded and used
- Attest to the fairness of the state’s financial statements and provide a certification thereto
- Perform the annual Statewide Single Audit required by the federal government
- Evaluate state agencies’ economy, efficiency, and effectiveness in using available resources
- Evaluate program results by weighing costs and benefits through performance audits
- Ensure all audit results are properly disclosed to management and the public
- Investigate whistleblower matters